La Roux on Madonna

French website Ozap interviewed UK singer La Roux. She mentioned Madonna, in the process…

On your MySpace you mentioned Madonna as an influence, but you write ‘in her early years’. Why is that?
Because what she did since the 90’s is shitty (laughs)! Her last song what is it… 4 seconds? 4 Minutes, I just don’t like it.
Still, she’s an inspiration for many artists…
She is. I was about to say “I”, but I meant “I had” the utmost respect for her, but she should have stopped after Ray of Light!
Ray of Light was her big comeback…
Yeah well, she should have stopped with Music, but I didn’t like Ray of Light, it was too 90’s for me.
But you were 10 when it came out…
Yes and I hated this album, at the time, and I still hate it (laughs). No she’s brilliant, she’s a legend, I’m not minimizing what she did ! But I’m not gonna lie and pretend I absolutely love everything she ever did. There no such artist for me. David Bowie is my favorite artist of all time, but still I didn’t like Ziggy Stardust, even though it’s his most successful record. Same for me. Many people might hate my album, but I don’t care.
You seem very pessimistic…
I kinda am. About Madonna, I really love what she did in the 80’s. Very synthetic music. I don’t like ‘Music’, even though I think it was a good album. And she’s one of the rare artists who are making music for what 30 years? And she has been successful for 30 years! I give her props for that. She’s also a fucking brilliant businesswoman. For me, she’s more about the business than the music, these past years. And to be honest, I wouldn’t walk in a leotard at my age. Seeing someone doing it at her age isn’t really appealing to me. She’s got a great body, but I think it’s time for to retire nicely.
Thanks to AbsolumentMadonna.fr

0 comments:

Sledeće Prethodno home